Facts, Health Benefits, And Possible Risk Of Eating Apple
Some facts about Apple
The apple fruit (Malus domestica) is a very controversial fruit that has many religious and ethnic significance in various cultures. In biblical book (Genesis); the forbidden fruit Eve coaxed Adam to share with her is believed to be an apple fruit.
This singular act brought about the downfall of man from God’s plan. The larynx in man’s throat is popularly called “Adam’s Apple”- it is believed to have evolved from the eating of the forbidden fruit.
Among the Greeks and Norwegian, apple fruit is being represented by various goddesses and it is seen as a symbol of Love, Fertility, and the seed of confusion.
It is the apple fruit that caused the “Trojan War”. Researchers have uncovered many graves in England and Germany (Europe) that contain many basket of apple fruit.
Despite the religious link with apple fruits; it is a fruit that is very rich and of great benefits to man. The fruit is believed to have evolved from Central Asia. However; the fruit is now grown in Asia and Europe.
It is an oval-shaped fruit with colors ranging from green, yellow, red and sometimes brown. A popular adage in Wales says; “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”.
Nutritional Value of Apple Fruits
Carbohydrates 13.81, Sugars 10.39, Fiber 2.4g, Fat 0.17g, Protein 0.26g and water 82%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) – 1%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) – 2%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) – 1%
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) – 1%
Vitamin B6 – 3%,
Vitamin B9 (Folate) – 1%
Vitamin C – 6%,
Vitamin E- 1%
Vitamin K- 2%
Calcium- 1%, Iron- 1%, Magnesium- 1%
Manganese- 2%, Phosphorus- 2%, Potassium- 2%
Facts, Health Benefits and Possible Risk of Eating apple
Uses of Apple Fruits
- Apples are used to cook sauce
- It is used to make butter and fruit preserves
- It can be baked and served with custard
- It can be made into pies or apple crumble and fruit salad
- It can be mashed and made into juice
- It is used to remove salt from salty food
- It can be put inside meat when roasting to improve the taste of the meat
Health Benefits of Apple Fruits
– Eating apple fruit reduces the amount of low-density lipoprotein in the blood thereby preventing cardiovascular diseases. However, the same effect is not seen in taking its juice.
– It contains Anti-oxidants that help prevent oxidative stresses that lead to the damage of cells thereby preventing asthma and various cancers especially cancer of the lungs and larynx.
– Apple indeed contains fibers that cannot be digested by the body. These fibers are used as feed for the development of good bacteria (microbiota/flora) in the colon which helps to breakdown some food products thus helps to recycle nutrients.
– It contains flavonoid compounds that help reduces inflammation and allergic response this boosting immunity.
– It is also a good source of calcium and phosphorus which is vital for bone health.
– It is a rich source of Vitamin C thus increasing the absorption of calcium and preventing the development of scurvy.
– It also contains folic acid and iron which boosts the development of blood cells thus reducing anemia.
– It increases blood flow and improves blood clotting.
Possible Risk of Eating Apple
Eating an apple is unlikely to cause any side effects or health problems but there had been some possibilities.
The seed of apple contains cyanide so chewing large quantities of these seeds may be dangerous to one’s health.
Small quantity is not enough to cause a negative effect but you should spit it out.
There can also be an allergic reaction in some persons after eating an apple. A reaction such as itching of the mouth, swelling, and breathing difficulty.
Also, note that the acidic content of apple may also contribute to the formation of plaque in your teeth. It is advised you rinse your mouth after eating an apple.