Dietary weapon to fight against the deadly COVID-19
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
COVID 19 is an infectious disease that is caused by a coronavirus. This virus has become a global concern as it has spread to more than 180 countries across the globe with currently over 2,840,830 cases.
The outbreak of this virus has taken many lives and livelihood, the social, physical, and mental life of the people had been affected. Domestic violence due to Partial or total lockdown.
What Causes Coronavirus
This virus has been found out to be zoonotic meaning that, they first develop in animals before passing to humans through close contact with that animal. This deadly virus can be spread among people through respiratory droplets and physical contact with an infected person.
The Symptoms of this Virus
Medical health personnel has disclosed that persons with this virus may not display some symptoms until about 21 days before you can begin to notice symptoms such as;
- Difficulty in breathing
- Severe cough
- Increase in body temperature
- Persistent pain in the chest
Call for emergency medical care if you start having any of these symptoms.
How can we prevent this deadly disease?
- Wash your hands with soap at all time or immediately you have a contact.
- Observe safe distance from others
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Stay at home as much as you can
- If you have any of the above symptoms call for medical help immediately
Dietary weapon to fight Against COVID-19
Research had shown that food and food supplements containing vitamins like, vitamin C and D and other micronutrients can help fight against this disease.
According to the journal of nutrient, Adrian Gombart of OSU’s Linus Pauling Institute and collaborators at the University of Southampton, the University of Otago (New Zealand) and University Medical Centre (The Netherlands) say that Public health officials should release nutritional recommendation to complement the role of other preventive measures that will already have.
COVID 19 patients need a strong immune system to fight against this virus infection and this is what all these nutrients can provide.
Certain vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids such as; vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acid in fish are known to help boost your immune system. But the problem is people are not eating enough of these nutrients.
Hygiene and vaccination are important to curb the spread of this virus, but other strategies such as nutritional focus on the immune system can also help to reduce the effect of this infection.
Ways to Derive Vitamins from our Food and Others
- Cook all fruit and vegetables in a very low heat and not for too long.
- Don’t fry. Put all vegetables and fruits in the pot, add your groundnut oil, other seasonings before you put it on the fire. It is as sweet as the one you fry.
- Do not cut your vegetables before you wash it. The water-soluble vitamins will be washed away and you will be left with roughage.
- Don’t just cook to please your appetite but your body
- Snack on fruits daily instead of Pepsi and Coke
- Take enough vitamin supplements especially vitamin C
Dietary Weapon To Fight Against The Deadly COVID-19