22 Amazing Health Benefits Of Zucchini Fruit
Zucchini fruit is another wonderful fruit with a lot of health benefits. It was first cultivated and known in America, specifically Mesoamerica but it is now found in any part of the world.
It is light green but another related hybrid has a yellow or orange color. Zucchini is a fruit but it is often treated as a vegetable as it can be cooked and presented as a savory dish.
To enjoy this fruit it is usually harvested when still immature and fresh at about 20cm long but it can normally get to 80 -100cm.
Botanically this fruit is called Cucurbita pepo as it is a berry of a swollen ovary of the zucchini flower. It belongs to the same family as cucumber, melons, and spaghetti squash.
This fruit has been reported to also serve some medicinal purposes, such as in treating headaches, colds, and some other health conditions. It is known for a wealth of nutritional value and health benefits.
The Nutritional Value of Zucchini fruit
According to the USDA national nutrient database, a raw fresh 100g of zucchini fruit contains;
- 17 calories
- 3.11 g of carbohydrates
- 1.21 g of protein
- 0.32 g of fat
- 1 g of fiber
- 24 µg of folates
- 0.451 mg of niacin
- 0.204 mg of pantothenic acid
- 0.163 mg of pyridoxine
- 0.094 mg of riboflavin
- 0.045 mg of thiamin
- 200 IU of vitamin A
- 17.9 mg of vitamin C
- 0.12 mg of vitamin E
- 4.3 µg of vitamin k
- 8 mg of sodium
- 261 mg of potassium
- 16 mg of calcium
- 0.37 mg of iron
- 18 mg of magnesium
- 0.177 mg of manganese
- 38 mg of phosphorus
- 0.2 µg of selenium
- 0.32 mg of zinc
- 120 µg of beta-carotene
- 2125 µg of lutein zeaxanthin
The Health Benefits of Zucchini Fruit
- This fruit helps to improve your heart health as it is low in cholesterol, fat, and sodium.
- It contains lutein and zeaxanthin, two excellent antioxidants that help improve your eye vision by preventing age-related macular degeneration.
- It is an excellent fruit in controlling diabetes.
- It helps to lower your body cholesterol levels.
- Zucchini can be used to cure asthma.
- It has been known to help fight against cancer such as colon cancer and colorectal cancer.
- It helps to enhance your digestive system as it has been known to treat digestive issues.
- It is a good remedy for high blood pressure.
- It helps you look young and fresh by slowing down aging.
- Zucchini fruit contains calcium, vitamin K and other nutrients that help strengthen bones and teeth.
- It contains manganese that helps promote the function of the thyroid gland.
- A good recipe to check your weight.
- It is a good fruit for a pregnant woman as it contains folic acid, which is needed to avoid childbirth complications.
- It helps to prevent diarrhea in children.
- It should be a must take fruit by every man as it has been known to help prevent prostate cancer.
- Helps improve collagen formation.
- It helps to prevent skin dryness by moisturizing your skin.
- It improves the proper functioning of the brain and memory.
- Zucchini can also improve your hair growth.
- It is a good source of ascorbic acid which helps to boost your immune system which helps you to fight against disease.
- It can also help to reduce the various symptoms of premenstrual syndrome
- Taking zucchini fruit may help you prevent morning sickness.
Different ways to enjoy zucchini fruit.
Zucchini with it lots of nutrients can be enjoyed in different ways. It can be eaten fresh and raw, it can be added to other vegetables like salad, and you can add it to make egg scramble and other recipes such as noodles.
To enjoy all the nutrient intact cook gently as some of the nutrients can easily get lost by heat.